How do I report rule violations?
It is inevidable that at some point user content that violates the rules will be posted, and it is up to the moderator team with the help of the community to identify and act upon it in a reasonable manner. Thankfully Mastodon has first class tools built in to accomplish this.
When you come across a post on the Fediverse that violates the instances rules please take the time to report it by clicking on the three dot menu and selecting report. This will then bring up a window that allows you to choose what type of report. In the event of a rules violation select that option, provide choose the posts from the user that violates the rules, and leave a comment before sending it to the moderator team.
As a quick reminder, here is Inadvertently Online's rules:
- Sexually explicit or violent media must be marked as sensitive when posting
- No racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, or casteism
- No incitement of violence or promotion of violent ideologies
- No harassment, dogpiling or doxxing of other users
- No illegal content
- Do not share intentionally false or misleading information
It's important to keep in mind that other users on the Fediverse can be on different instances with a different set of rules. It is for this reason it's highly encuraged to be a upstanding fedizen by respect people and their boundries.
- Dealing with unwanted content - Mastodon Documentation
- Beginners Start here: Who sets the rules on the Fediverse? How do I find out what the rules are on my server? - FediTips
- Click on the three dot (a.k.a more actions) button on the post
- From the menu select
- Choose an option that best suites the situation
- If you chose
It violates server rulesselect which rule was broken
- Provide evidence to the moderator team by selecting the related posts
- Add any additional comments for the moderators to see during review